Saturday, November 17, 2012

Christmas at the Lodge

With sunlight showing through

No sunlight showing through

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

Two years ago I taught a workshop on making little diorama scenes using stamps and sponging techniques.  Those little handmade scenes were smaller and not as sturdy as this one that I am naming Christmas at the Lodge. 

The base is a wooden cigar box, with the lid cut off and a section cut out with a scroll saw on the bottom (which eventually becomes the front).  You could also use a cardboard cigar box, but I purchased about 20 of them a few years back and they are the wooden boxes. 

Cover the box as desired to fit your theme.   If you do not have stamps you could instead use vintage papers for your background scene.  Just remember that the light will show through with one sheet of background paper but the more layers glued inside the box, the denser the scene will be and less light will show through.  Remember, these dioramas are so pretty when you place them in front of a small lamp or you could place a small candle behind which could also provide some flickering. 

Because I was going for a vintage, Victorian look, I used very vanilla paper to stamp on.  I really added a lot of embellishments to this project because Victorian just screams of layers and opulence....even at the lodge! 

You could add any holiday saying, but one of my alltime favorites is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".  I am very nostalgic at heart and those old timey images and sayings make me smile a little.  Hope you enjoyed this post.  Now try making one yourself!  If you want to use vintage papers, click on Crafty Secrets, The Graphics Fairy, or Webster's Pages on the left side of the blog. 

The photos do not show the amount of glitter used on this project.  I went very heavy with glitter on the design elements, snow, snowflakes, trees, snow on rooftop, etc. etc. .  Once again after finishing this project I am covered from head to toe with glitter.  I prefer SU's diamond dust or Martha Stewart's fine glitters.  This fine glitter really reminds me of very old holiday decorations.
And whatever you do, where ever you go....Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!