Monday, November 12, 2012

Winter Wonderland

This year I wanted to change it up a bit in my living room and add the feel of a snowy holiday.  Winter Wonderland decorations could stay up a few weeks past Christmas because it will still be winter, past the holidays.  I had some ideas in my head and found a store that had their holiday items on sale early.  Because crafters and decorators must plan and work ahead of the season, it's great to find treasures on sale even before the start of the season.

I purchased a few, made some as well (see next blog post on making layered snowflakes), and pulled out a few items I had around the house (such as white birds).  The cloth covering my fireplace is a drapery panel which was also on sale! 

I haven't decided as yet everyplace I will use the handmade layered snowflakes, but they can be used on garlands, wreaths, hanging down in front of a mirror, or as a package decoration. 






TIP:  Don't forget to dress your lampshades.  A small inexpensive floral pick can be used to hang on the shade.  You can add a bow or a paper banner saying to really make a statement.  The lampshade will be lovely with the light on or off.  Also, the lamp on/off button is the perfect place to hang a coordinating ornament for that unexpected touch of whimsey!  Let your imagination be your guide as you go through your home looking for all things white, wintery, silvery, glitzy, etc.  Another tip is that you can pull out your jewelry and use your pearls or rhinestones for an unexpected touch, such as the wintery scene on my entry table which has pearl necklaces and is sitting on a stand (remember to give your vignettes some height here and there).