Saturday, November 17, 2012

Little Dioramas

I taught a workshop on how to make these little diorama scenes a couple of years back.  Basically you are making a box of sorts, with part of the front cut out so the light will show through the back side and will make your images glow. 

In these older dioramas I used different colors, aquas, sage, hunter green for sponging and stamping.  These smaller versions are the perfect size to mix in with other things, or on your mantel with other small items.  Because these smaller scenes are a little more delicate than the one in the next post I would suggest when you pack them up after the holidays, you use some crumpled tissue inside to keep them from getting crushed.

Next to painting with brushes, I love using sponges to get a soft layered look.  You can layer your shadings just as with painting but of course they are two totally different mediums and techniques.   Sometime when I get extra time I'm thinking about using sponges to paint a picture but that will have to come later...too many projects in my head right now. 



If you make any dioramas I would love to see them.  Just send me your pictures via e-mail.