Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Layered Snowflakes

I love layers, textures and glitz during the holidays.  I'm calling these "layered snowflakes".  When I was giving instructions to my workshop ladies I had several bits of advice.  I have always said "it's only paper!" because sometimes the ladies would get caught up in overthinking a project.  Also, I have found that I like to devote a little time here and there to "making design elements" ahead of time.  I cut with dies or scissors, punch shapes and stamp images in quantities.  Then I go back later and start piecing the project together.  That way I can let the creative juices start to flow and I don't have to stop as often to add this or that. 

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE FOR DETAIL 

That is what I did to make the "layered snowflakes".  I cut some snowflakes from chip board using dies and then cut the same shapes using various printed papers, in neutral tones.  I like to mix in the unexpected, such as using paper that has musical notes or printed words.  I don't use news print, but rather use paper that is more substantial.  Glue the printed papers onto the chipboard shapes, and add very fine glitter here and there.  I use dimensional tape when layering so the snowflakes are pretty chunky.  I often like to add brads (plain, pearl or rhinestones).  And, I love to add phrases to my projects, often hand cutting little banners that can float on top of the project.  Notice the "Happy Christmas" banner saying on one of the snowflakes.  
And have you noticed that paper rosettes are everywhere!  I love them because they give that old timey feel to projects.
 
These paper snowflakes could be used to decorate holiday packages, use on wreaths or garlands or as tree ornaments.  I think I'm going to use ribbons to hang them down in front of my entry mirror.  I am still getting familiar with this new blog program so for now if you would like instructions on how to make the "paper rosettes" just send me an e-mail and I will send back instructions.  For those in my area I would be glad to give you one-on-one instructions in the workshop.   

Snowflakes glistening, are you listening?  Bring that Winter Wonderland into your home.