Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas is Love

The Little Drummer Boy carol touches my heart because he had nothing to give, but his gift was about love, not monetary items.  We all have something we can give to one another this Christmas, even if it is something we have on hand that we can share.  I'm reminded of something from a few years back, that I'll forever hold as a memory and reminder.

While driving home from work I was stopped at a traffic light and looked to my right and noticed a bag lady.  She did not have bags of "stuff" as you would think of a bag lady.  Rather, her coat was a large black garbage bag with a hole cut for her arms and to slide over her head.  Brrrrr.....it was one of those COLD, RAINY afternoons and as I sat there wishing my car would hurry and warm up, I felt very selfish at that moment.  I knew what I had to do, which was make my turn and return back to talk with the "bag lady". 

It was difficult to understand her as she mumbled.  I discovered later that she mumbled because she had no teeth, or at least very few of them.  I did make out that she lived at Our Way Apartments, and that she was waiting for the bus to stop and take her to them.  When I arrived home I went through my coat closet and found two or three coats that I had not worn in years and I mentioned the lady at work the next day and then ended up with about 14 coats.  I called Our Way Apartments and the manager knew who I was talking about when I mentioned the black garbage bag which she wore for a coat.  I asked the manager to arrange a time for me to take the coats to the apartment and/or their office. 

When I arrived at the bag lady's apartment and stepped inside I felt so humble and embarassed that I had so much and she had so little.  She mumbled something and left the apartment and I didn't know where she was going.  But she returned with several of the others who lived in Our Way and they all came into the apartment.  She put about three of the coats on (one on top of another) and I had to chuckle because she looked somewhat like the Michelin Tire Boy at that point.  But, then she twirled and twirled with glee wearing those coats and she looked like Miss America, wearing a big fur coat and big smile.  It didn't matter that she had few if any teeth....at that very moment she was Miss America!

Then she offered the other residents to pick out a coat or two and the fun began.  I was overwhelmed and it was time to leave.  But the greatest gift was the impression that the experience had on me.  It doesn't take expensive gifts, but the gift of love is the best gift of all.  And she definitely left an imprint on my heart that I'll carry forever. 

NOTE:  Our Way Apartments provides housing for those with disabilities and "challenges".  They are are on my list of people doing good things.

Now, please go look in your coat or clothes closet and see if there are items of clothing that you can share with an organization such as CJCOHN (Church's Joint Council on Human Needs), who distributes clothing free of charge to those in need.