Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Victorian Christmas Projects


The Victorians loved layers upon layers - notice all the layers!

I needed a few more decorated gable boxes to use for food gift containers.  I like to make each box a little different from the others.  For these two boxes I used a mix of botannical holiday printed papers, along with some vintage images.

Remembering that the Victorians made their own cards and gifts, and that they liked to layer and layer and layer things they had on hand or that they had treasured and saved, I decided to play around with lots of layers and a mixture of items. 

Some people might not like all the mixtures and assortment of papers, but I find it is quite visually appealing.  Your eye can see so many different items on a card, or in this case a food container (gable box).  My photography skills being not so good, the Dashing Through the Snow box does not show that the sled is embossed with copper embossing powder, nor that some of the embellishments are covered with copper colored glitter. 



"Warm Holiday Wishes" greeting is perfect to pair with icicle border!
 My "can't do without" tool for holiday projects is the Martha Stewart icicle border punch!  I use it so much that I'm now on my second one....and I cannot find it in the stores any longer.
My favorite of the two boxes is the one with the little Victorian child.  I am drawn to the unusual mix of soft green, along with Christmas red and of course the image of the child.   Again, the Victorians layered and pieced their cards and projects together to make little individual statements, or expressions of themselves.  While making projects to give to others be sure to take that time to think about the intended recipient and how they add to your life.  It's like a little secret ounce of heartfelt good wishes....kind of like pixie dust.  You cannot see it, but you can sense it.

My food goodies (homemade candies, cocoa mix, jellies and beer bread mixes) are waiting to be put into their decorative containers and given out.  But in the meantime, visions of more gable boxes are dancing in my head so I'll be making a few more.

Have a nice day today.  May you layer your holiday with tidings of good cheer, love and handmade items from your heart and home. 
Victorian means old which means distressing your paper is a good look.  Papers on both boxes are distressed with sponging for that old look. The Victorians liked a lot of sparkle so add glitter or metallic embossing to your vintage projects!

Some distressed sheet music could have been used on the Dashing Through the Snow project...so many options!


If you don't have a source for sheet music, just go to the left hand column of my blog and go to the Graphics Fairy website to find some sheet music.  Then distress it, tear it or tatter it...just have fun with it.  My workshop ladies always laughed when I said "it's only paper"!!!!  So play around with it and experiment.