Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Little Shepherd Boy


 Today was one of the most meaningful Sundays for me.  Our choir was amazing...just amazing!   Of course there were some of the older Christmas carols that we all know and love.  But sometimes a new carol or hymn can nudge you because you pay a little closer attention to the words because they are unfamiliar to you.  Our last carol was just that, unfamiliar, to me at least.  The words spoke of what the Star might have been seeing and thinking, as it was shining down brightly, leading the wise men to the baby Jesus.  Or what the star might have been seeing in the amazement and wonder of people out in their fields or stepping outside of their dwellings to see this very bright star.   






When I got home I remembered an old, dusty wooden plaque or banner that I had painted years ago (1997 according to when I signed it).  I went down to the basement and pulled it out and dusted it off a bit.  There was that Little Shepherd Boy, with his sheep.  I had painted a star and the words from St. Luke 2:11.  His face reminds me of a boy who is looking at baby Jesus with reverence, deep in thought of the wondrous gift to the world.

I often give away painted items to others.  I would much rather give them to those who would enjoy them.  But this Little Shepherd Boy was one that I kept, and just put down in the basement to gather dust.   Some of my favorite things are old and dusty....items and people too!!!  In fact, when I think about getting old and dusty myself, I have to remember that, hey, I like old and dusty things, so it's really okay to get old and dusty!

As I dusted off the Little Shepherd Boy banner I also looked up and one of my other favorite old and dusty things in my basement workshop is my Sugarbaker and Associates sign.  Yep, it's THE sign from the show Designing Women.  Harry Thomasson, the show's producer used to teach with my husband, as well as some of his other friends.  One "friend in common" was another teacher, Vernon, who remainded one of my hubby's friends until his death a few years back.  Vernon's sisters had invited my husband to come over and go through Vernon's belongings to pick out some items to remember him by.  Vernon had done filming for Harry Thomasson, and in fact had taken the picture of the Villa Marre at the opening scene of Designing Women, which included the Sugarbaker and Associates sign that Vernon hand made himself.  Vernon was a genius....he built his own camera equipment, his own canoe (which we now own), his own airplane, etc. etc. etc. 


Naturally I mentioned to Danny that I would love to have some of his photographs, and particularly the one of the Villa Marre in downtown Little Rock.  Danny and his sisters searched and searched and could not find any of the pictures, but what Danny brought home was the Sugarbaker and Associates sign that Vernon had hand made and painted for the filming of the show.  WOW!  It was covered in dust, because it was hanging from the rafters in Vernon's workshop, collecting dust and grime.  I dusted it off, but some dust just remained there.  I kind of like the dust and it reminds me that it was handmade by Vernon and had been just hanging from the rafters in his workshop.  Oh, and we also inherited Vernon's cat that he so loved.  He had named her Ginger, and I'm not sure why, except she has a little bit of an orange tint on her belly and she loves getting her tummy rubbed!  And Ginger....well she is now pretty old or as I say, "old and dusty".  Some of my favorite things are old and dusty!

Hope you have a lovely day today!