Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Plaid for the Holidays!


click on photo to enlarge

I really like giving food gifts during the holidays.  These medium sized gable boxes are the perfect size to fit a group of three or four items.  Some combinations could be beer bread mix, small jars of jellies, herbed butter spread and little spreader.  For those with cihldren a gift of cookies (or cookie mix), homemade candies, fudge or brownies, holiday napkins and maybe some cocoa mix.  Or, for families who have movie night or game night, you could put some salty snacks, a few boxed candies (like at the movie theater), packages of popcorn, popcorn boxes and napkins.  Hobby Lobby carries packages of popcorn boxes and bags with matching napkins that are so cute (red striped just like at the movie theater). 

I used the new Hallmark gift wraps to cover around the box.  I'm CRAZY for these handsome, masculine plaids!!!  And the plaids are versatile because the print is great for men or women.  You could cover only the front of the box if you wish, but I covered all four sides.  Their paper is thicker than most others, but it is still a bit fragile, compared to scrapbooking paper and cardstock.  I recommend you use a really good glue stick to adhere the paper to the box.  I used a Stampin Up glue stick (the best around) after wasting time using a cheapie glue stick that made a mess and left bumps, etc.  Also, for those who have a brayer, I recommend you use the brayer to push the paper flat when gluing it to the box.  I mostly use my brayer to apply ink to paper or labels in order to change their color, but it really works great to force a good seal between paper and a box, or card front to card base.

click on photo to enlarge

One gable box was decorated using different stamps (rustic plaid box) but I also wanted to show that you could instead use store bought die cuts and stickers to really make the project quick and easy so two of the boxes used packaged die cuts.  I'm also showing different ways you could decorate the handle....but you could leave the handle bare if you wish. 

You can't tell from the photos, but two of the gable boxes are covered with rustic wood print on the top portion....drats, a really cute look in person but doesn't show in the photos so well).
In the County -- click on photo to enlarge


 
I like that plaid paper so much (that cabin look again) so I made a couple of rosettes, just to see how I would like the plaid.  I am a plaid kinda girl so I don't think there's any way to mess up when it comes to plaid.  Oh, and don't be afraid when working with plaid or a masculine print, to add some feminine touches just to add a little interest!  Poinsettias and plaid are a good look.  Also, although you cannot see it, there is a lot of glitter on the rustic post card box, which adds that little bit of feminine touch to the project.

Hope you have a Glad Plaid Day today!!!!