Friday, December 7, 2012

Dreamin' of a Cabin Christmas


Repurpose an old feather duster

Some dream of a white Christmas, but my dream would be a Cabin Christmas.  It's been my dream for years to have a little cabin in the woods.  Knowing that dream may never come true, I can still get that feeling by decorating one room as my "cabin".  My bedroom is usually the last room to get decorated and the cabin decor will stay through January.  I wanted to share some ideas on how you can make some of your own natural ornaments for a tree or to decorate over a mirror, attach onto bed posts, etc.  The colors I use are not 100% Christmas because I use a plaid that includes citrus-y colors....oranges, lime, gold and a touch of red.  Lots of fruit and berries adorn the tree as well as natural touches such as woodsy "branch huggers" (floral/leaf boughs and picks). 

Dried Pumpkin Seeds (save your fall pumpkin!)

"Later on
We'll Conspire as We Sit by the Fire"



Fruit, berries and bows make great "branch huggers" 



Citrus-y colors are an unexpected touch
 Two things that make for a woodsy feel are using dried cones and nuts.  Here I've cleaned and roasted pumpkin seeds and covered papier mache eggs and shapes.  Don't be afraid to try other natural items such as feathers, dried tree moss, etc.

                                     
Branch huggers (fillers) with lots of moss sit on many of the branches
When I first began making and collecting my "'Cabin Christmas" ornaments I gathered twigs and then cut them into pices, tied them into bundles with raffia, added some greenery and then added the note that says "Later on We'll Conspire As We Sit By the Fire".  That says it all for me!  Sitting by a fire in a cabin in the woods is what I'm dreaming about.